Thursday, February 18, 2016

Whey to Go

So, I still had a little bit of whey left over from last week's delivery.  Two litres is a lot to get rid of at once.  I read that you can pour it on your plants in a diluted form, but I was too lazy to look up the percentage of dilution.  Plus it would only probably be a small amount to use.

So what to do?

I found a nice recipe which uses buttermilk and water, so I thought why not?  It would give the same slightly sour taste as buttermilk and almost the same consistency.  So I made whey brownies.  Whey? Yes, whey?

These brownies turn out more cake-like in texture but they were delicious nonetheless.  I personally like a brownie denser, but in a pinch to use up the whey I thought they turned out pretty well.

I found a recipe from the Louisiana Bride for buttermilk brownies.  Head over there and you'll find a lovely recipe which has a caramel crispy topping for the brownie.  Heavenly.

Just a simple change in the recipe gives me the following:


2 cups of all purpose flour 
1 1/2 cup whey
2 eggs
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup oil
2 cups light brown sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa

Preheat oven to 400F.   Cream the sugar, eggs, and oil in mixer under medium speed.  In a separate bowl combine flour, baking soda, and salt.  Add cocoa to melted butter and mix until smooth.  Add cocoa mixture to creamed sugar mixture.  Alternate adding flour mixture and whey, ending with the flour mixture.  Mix until smooth.  If the batter seems too wet add a couple tablespoons of flour.  It should look like cake batter.  Pour into greased 8" square pan and bake for 30 minutes.  Use toothpick method to check for doneness and let cool completely in pan.  

Makes 9-12 servings

No comments:

Post a Comment