Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Cheating

I've cheated in the past and I'm not ashamed to admit it.  Over the years I've been not truthful when I talk with people.  I confess, I use mixes in my baking.  I've used cake mixes, cookie mixes, and brownie mixes when I make my treats.

Sometimes it's a matter of convenience.  Mixes are great for that.  Everything is measured out for you and you don't have to worry about the right amount of ingredients.  Also you can just add some other items to make it more "homemade."  Plus it's great when you have someone in your family say "I have a meeting tonight and it's potluck.  Do we have anything?"  Not pointing any fingers.  Cough...cough...husband.

So this next recipe is great because it's quick, uses a box mix and still comes out looking like you've spent time in the kitchen whipping up something special.

You'll need to following:

1/2 cup butter or margarine - softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 box yellow or white cake mix
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup finely crushed bran flakes (about 2 cups before crushing)
1 1/2 cups raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350F.  In your mixer cream butter and sugar on medium speed for about one minute.   Add egg and vanilla.  Place mixer on low and slowly add cake mix and bran flakes.  Mix until combined.  Remove about 1 1/2 cups of mixture and press the rest into the bottom of a greased 9X13 pan.  Make a nice even layer.  Add jam and spread to cover completely.  I like to warm the jam slightly in the microwave to make it easier to spread.  Sprinkle the remaining batter over the top of the jam, so you can still see the jam underneath.  Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown.   Cool completely and cut into bars.  Makes 32-36 pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment